Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Voice Encryption

From: "J. Oquendo" <sil () infiltrated net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 18:32:27 -0500

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Kelly Keeton wrote:

Is there any software that will encrypt voice on the fly? I know there
is PGPfone but that's for use with a existing VoIP Phone product.

My use case is.. if I want software to encode my voice in software on
a laptop over a POTS or Cellular phone do decrypt via far end software
and phone. I understand the limitations to some of this due to the
audio spectrum available on the equipment but not asking if its
possible more, is there software that (ideally opensource) that will
do this?

-Kelly

There is no known mechanism in the software realm that will
encrypt or decrypt on the fly if your intentions are to say
have every call you make "encrypted". Supposing you had uber
product A installed and configured to properly encrypt your
sessions. You'd need that same software or hardware on the
other end to perform the functions as well. Period.

You're comparing apples and oranges when it comes to VoIP
and POTS. You need some software mechanisms to encrypt on
both ends. How do you propose the phone on the other end
of a POTS line decrypt. They'd need some hardware to do
the conversion after the VoIP trunk to PSTN termination.
It would have to be some form of IP in some form of telco
equipment to do such a thing.

Anyhow, enjoy the reading:

http://www.fiercevoip.com/story/hyping-voip-encryption/2008-05-05
http://voipservices.tmcnet.com/feature/articles/22457-voip-encryption-protection-against-eavesdroppers.htm
http://zfoneproject.com/faq.html#pots

--
J. Oquendo

"A good district attorney can indict a ham sandwich
if he wants to ... The accusations harm as much as
the convictions ... they're obviously harmful or it
wouldn't be news.." - John Carter

wget -qO - www.infiltrated.net/sig|perl

http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3AC173DB