Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Hard Drive Forensics Question

From: "Murda Mcloud" <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 07:23:23 +1000

So you mean similar to writing 0 s to the drive?
Like dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdax ?
or from dev/random?
Just wasn't sure why you said 'copy and paste and delete'-it didn't make
sense to me.
Also, what would be the point of deleting the data after you have randomly
generated it? Surely if you have overwritten everything then deleting it
seems superfluous.
And why do you feel that random is better?