Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hard Drive Forensics Question

From: "Jason Ross" <algorythm () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 23:57:11 -0400

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Matt Perry <mattp () pobox com> wrote:
Question:
My opinion is that looking at an image of his personal computer's hard drive
will not prove conclusively whether or not he saved files from the company's
Pleomax to his personal computer. Can someone either validate that or
indicate why the image would provide that information?

If the documents in question are present on his system, it proves that
he had those documents on his personal computer. If that is a violation of
his terms of employment or some other contract with the employer, that
may be all that is needed.

Regarding conclusively proving whether or not those files came from the
Pleomax or from some other location (a shared network drive for example)
there's not enough information to know for sure, it is possible however.

An example that comes to mind is that the documents may have path
information stored in their metadata which could be used to show that
the Pleomax was the location they originated from (there are ways to
determine what drive letters were mapped to which specific USB devices
in Windows for example...not applicable necessarily in Mac Land, but
there may be similar types of resources).

He is prepared to allow his personal computer's hard drive to be imaged. I
am concerned that doing so will breach his own privacy since he stores
personal finance, correspondence, etc. on it.

I certainly agree with your assessment at face value, and think (usual IANAL
disclaimer goes here) it would probably be in your client's best interest to
consult an attorney on this matter.

Being unaware of the circumstances I of course have no idea what laws may
cover the situation, but I think it likely that the company would need to seek
some type of court sanctioned permission to obtain the image of your client's
equipment, whether that's via a request for discovery as the result of a lawsuit
or via some other means I couldn't say.

In other words, if he chose to, it is possible he could make things
difficult for
them, perhaps to his advantage; by giving up that process, he may well be
making things more difficult for himself, regardless of whether the company
discovers what they claim they will or not.

Hope that helps.

--
Jason