Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Inventory Tools

From: "Hayes, Bill" <Bill.Hayes () owh com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 13:52:13 -0500

Networkview is not free, but is a very reasonably-priced Windows-based
tool. It is very portable and can go on a USB key. It supports SNMP
gets, WMI queries, has a port scanner, and can do a basic network map.
Data can be exported to a text file and then parsed and placed in a
spreadsheet.

I've used this tool for many years and Networkview works well for Class
C subnets.

It compliments Nessus quite well.  Nessus can do WMI queries, SMTP gets,
return MS Office versions and provide information on third party apps.
Nessus is no longer free, but for the price, it's a good value. I've
heard about Nessus open source derivatives, but have not had the time to
look at them.

Bill...