Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Wiping a drive: /dev/zero or /dev/urandom better?

From: Yinka Adeosun <Yinka.Adeosun () noaa gov>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 18:21:12 -0400

JW,

Hey, do it DoD style! There is a free software to blow it away; DBAN

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/dban.html
http://www.dban.org/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dban/

Much better than degausser.

Thanks,
Yinka.

Steve Armstrong wrote:
JW,

We do a dd of /dev/random to the /dev/hda and then do a dd of /dev/nul
to the same.

While you can drop the random one (for speed and to be honest it is not
really required), we always do a dev/nul wipe as when you cat the
/dev/hda the line will return within the screen as there is nothing
there.  This way you get a quick understandable confirmation that the
process completed correctly and was not interrupted mid flow.

If we are doing a Gov system drive we use the like of Blancco that is
approved to wipe drives.

Steve A