Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Web Traffic Security and Eavesdropping

From: "Shreyas Zare" <shreyas () technitium com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 22:00:46 +0530

Hi,

I think this (http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/08/revealed-the-in.html)
will explain how.

Regards,

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 6:46 AM, mojorising <moj0rising () aim com> wrote:

Hi, there. We all know many web sites out there encrypt connections with SSL
to prevent eavesdropping on user sessions. In a conversation about this
today while securing web services/ applications of one of our sites, a
friend asked how such a thing is possible if the eavesdropper is not on the
same network as the end-user or server being watched. I couldn't provide a
very good answer and was wondering if anyone out there could. We know how
easy it would be if you were on the same network or had access to one of the
nodes on either end or even, perhaps, a switch or router, etc in between
those two points.

Basically, the question is, can someone out there in the big, bad, internet
somehow watch all traffic going to and from another node on the internet
(like a web server for example) without being on the same local network as
the node they are watching? I'm quite sure the answer to this is yes and if
yes, then how is it done?

Thanks,
Mike

--
Shreyas Zare
Co-Founder, Technitium

..::< The Technitium Team >::..
Visit us at www.technitium.com
Contact us at theteam () technitium com

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."
--Will Rogers

"So run ..."
-- Shreyas Zare

Join Sci-Tech News group and get the latest science & technology news
in your inbox. Visit http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sci-tech-news
to join.