Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Why open source software is more secure

From: zenmasterbob123 () gmail com
Date: 8 May 2008 16:47:46 -0000

My first thought as I read this was that Sapran doesn't understand macroeconomics, free enterprise, and the effect of
market forces on software development.  Secure software sells.  Businesses are willing to pay a lot more money for
something that they percieve will cause them less headache over time.

But on the other hand, Sapran does grasp microeconomics.  Individual people are cheap.  They will buy something that
they think they need, but they will buy it for the low low price if £3.50 if they can, in spite of the fact that it has
holes the size of Wembley Stadium.  This is especially true of something that does something that they can't see, like
antivirus software.

So if we are really going to have this discussion again, let's turn it on its side.  What motive does the Open Source
developer have to make a secure product?  or more to the point, what motivation does the Open Source developer have
that the commercial developer does not also have?  Honor?  Pride?  Reputation?  Those exist on both sides of the
ledger.  I postulate that the only difference between the two is that the commercial developer has the additional
motivation of profit.

Also, Marx was an utter fool who had no understanding of human nature, but that is a discussion for another list.  }8-)