Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Why open source software is more secure

From: "David Harley" <david.a.harley () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 16:36:19 +0100

The main goal of a software vendor is not to bring you a
_good_ product, but to sell it you. That is the only truth
about that.

And I thought I was cynical... I'm not saying that there aren't poor
products, but there are companies who see making a quality product as a
sales asset, and making a living out of selling a product doesn't mean you
can't believe in and be passionate about improving that product.

That's why the product might be fully featured,
nicely decorated and published on time: the vendor is
economically motivated to make it this way. But there's no
sense to make it secure and stable because the only motive
for this is liability which does not exist software industry.

This is exactly the wrong way round. Selling a product usually establishes a
contractual liability. Open source software is unsuitable in many contexts
precisely because of the difficulty of establishing liability in the event
of a problem.

I'm not saying that good (excellent, even) open source software doesn't
exist: I use some myself. But there is also stuff around that couldn't
survive commercially because of its limitations and/or lack of support.

--
DH