Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Why open source software is more secure

From: "Ali, Saqib" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 08:14:17 -0700

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 1:41 AM, sapran <sapran () gmail com> wrote:
The main goal of a software vendor is not to bring you a _good_ product, but to sell it you.

As much as I like opensource, I have to say what you stated above is
incorrect. There is a disconnect. The software vendor's goal is to
sell software (like any other business), but to do that it has to
build a reputation. And it can not build a good reputation by
consistently producing bad (insecure) software.

If the argument you stated above is correct, why should it not be
applied to "all" commercial products? Why just software?

saqib
http://doctrina.wordpress.com/