Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Getting the value of an asset and the probability of a risk to it

From: Craig Wright <Craig.Wright () bdo com au>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 12:04:25 +1000

"So as with most things, the more data there is available, the greater
degrees of accuracy can be sifted from that data."
Correct, a larger volume of data narrows the confidence bounds and increases the accuracy of the result.

"'future' data and factors appear to be magically produced."
Arthur C. Clarke - see law 3
The 3 "laws" of prediction:
1       When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right.
2       When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong. The only way of discovering the limits
of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
3       Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

"So the one of the important things is to consider and be aware of the variables that are being added over a period of
time that forms the basis of the historical data set?
Yes, the process for selecting variable in the model should be based on those variables that produce a statistically
significant effect against the model correlation. There are methods (PCA for instance) for selecting these. Better are
methods such as GEE.

"Not only that, be aware of the number of variables present in any measurements taken?"
Yes - also look at confounding factors and whether effects are independent or not.

Regards,
Craig

Craig Wright
Manager, Risk Advisory Services

Direct : +61 2 9286 5497
Craig.Wright () bdo com au
+61 417 683 914

BDO Kendalls (NSW-VIC) Pty. Ltd.
Level 19, 2 Market Street Sydney NSW 2000
GPO BOX 2551 Sydney NSW 2001
Fax +61 2 9993 9497
http://www.bdo.com.au/

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential. If you are not the named addressee you must not
read, print, copy, distribute, or use in any way this transmission or any information it contains. If you have received
this message in error, please notify the sender by return email, destroy all copies and delete it from your system.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily endorsed by BDO Kendalls.
You may not rely on this message as advice unless subsequently confirmed by fax or letter signed by a Partner or
Director of BDO Kendalls. It is your responsibility to scan this communication and any files attached for computer
viruses and other defects. BDO Kendalls does not accept liability for any loss or damage however caused which may
result from this communication or any files attached. A full version of the BDO Kendalls disclaimer, and our Privacy
statement, can be found on the BDO Kendalls website at http://www.bdo.com.au/ or by emailing mailto:administrator ()
bdo com au.

BDO Kendalls is a national association of separate partnerships and entities. Liability limited by a scheme approved
under Professional Standards Legislation.