Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Network Upgrade

From: "Jon R. Kibler" <Jon.Kibler () aset com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 09:58:04 +0000

Mohit Sharma wrote:
Thanks for your excellent inputs list but one of my question still
remains unanswered. Are there any restrictions according to any
regulations in the world that stops the financial institutions to do
their business on the public networks??

I've looked at the MPLS solution and it is well available in India and
probably we'll end up negotiating a bulk MPLS deal but if I can get
inputs on the compliance part of using public networks.

The question is whether you consider MPLS to be a public network. The
vendors market it as a private network. It both is and isn't. All I can
tell you is that banks and other financial institutions within North
America heavily use MPLS -- and I gather some even use it without IPSec
or other crypto (which, I personally, think is dumb).

Let me put it this way: MPLS is at least as secure as VSAT, maybe even
more so. So if your regulators like VSAT, they should love MPLS w/ IPSec.

Jon
--
Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer