Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Network Upgrade

From: "Jon R. Kibler" <Jon.Kibler () aset com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 11:26:03 -0500

Mohit Sharma wrote:
Dear List,

I've a question here related to the latest network improvement plan
I'm working at. I am in India and planning to upgrade our current VSAT
network to something faster. I've two proposals in my mind. The first
one is to have Leased lines which would be the most expensive and the
second one is IPsec VPN over public networks. The nature of business
our organization is into is Banking & finance sector. My question is
that does any compliance or legislation around the world restricts any
Financial institution to operate its network over public networks like
Internet??

If you can find a vendor that supports it, your best bet would be MPLS.
It is A LOT cheaper than dedicated lines. It is better than just using
the Internet because you get QoS/CoS capabilities.

Most vendors actually run their MPLS networks over their Internet backbones.
Some will try to convince you that MPLS is secure, but it is NOT! What I
do with clients is run IPSec over MPLS. It gets you the current best of
all worlds: low cost, high performance, and reasonable security.

Jon Kibler
--
Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer