Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Protecting Client Identity

From: "Sheldon Malm" <smalm () ncircle com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:45:38 -0700

Depending on the risk associated with client authentication, two factor may be warranted if it's practical.  The number
of clients and/or third parties contacting you will be part of the "practical" assessment.

This is why credit card companies typically want card number, expiry, and sometimes security code from the back of the
card in addition to a secret word or challenge/response pair.  "Something you have + something you know" has become a
cliche for a reason.  :)

I hope this helps.