Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Am I still vulnerable to attack?

From: Logan Douglas <logan () ssanz net>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 15:12:03 +1300

hi Craig Dunn

You will always be vulnerable. There is no such thing as a totally secure system.

The proxy application that is open to public networks ( internet ) can be exploited. An IDS system or honeypot wall can assist in the " monitoring " of such an attack.

The actual OS will be vulnerable as well depending on what basic networking ports are
open.

Really, i think there would be more of a risk of security within your school network than
anything else.

Whats to stop a student from booting a linux security distro and getting all your domain
passwords?

I hope this helps :)

Best Regards,
Logan Douglas

***************************************

Server Systems Administration NZ

Server Security | Server Systems Management

ServerSystemsAdministration.COM | SSANZ.NET | ServerSecurityNZ.COM

Quoting cdunn () foxwood notts sch uk:

Hi,

I work in a school in nottingham, UK we access the internet via the EMBC who inter-connect all schools and colleges to the internet. The EMBC manage our site blocking and spam filters for E-Mail. The proxy we use to access the net is heavily filtered and all un-used ports are closed, making an attack as far as I can see VERY difficult.

My question is just how vulnerable is our school network? is there still potential there for an attack to take place? or would this be so difficult and the rewards to few for an attacker to bother?

Thanks

Craig Dunn