Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: How safe / unsafe is Free Open WiFi?

From: "Sandeep Romana" <sandeepr () cdac in>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 17:09:18 +0530

Hi,

As per my knowledge in am trying to answer the question. Anybody Please correct me if anywhere I am wrong.

WiFi usually uses Radio Frequency for transmission of traffic. As per the nature of radio signals; the WiFi devices and
Access Point's broadcast the traffic, so they can be captured by anyone who is in range. Moreover the protocol that is
used in WiFi for encryption( i.e WEP(Wired Equivalent Protocol)) does not use good encryption algorithms which means
WEP encryption can be cracked very easily.

Sandeep