Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: remote control program

From: "Joel" <joel () nc rr com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 01:07:41 -0400

How secure is any administrative interface on the web? It's only as good as
the SSL, which has been broken in theory but not in practice that I'm aware.
I bank online because I trust the interface and the encryption, but I guard
my password carefully and (should) change it (more) often. I do the same
with the master account password for logmein. Still, your last comment isn't
true for the product... from the website it's no free lunch if some
malfeasant gains the account credentials. On the website you have to know
the username and password for each computer when you attempt a remote
session.

More conveniently, the Ignition product has an interface that sits on my
laptop and allows me to gain access in 5 to 15 seconds. And the access if
usually as fast or almost as fast as being at the desktop. YMMV based upon
your throughput. I have 7Mbps down and 2Mbps up at my office; that may
influence the speed. However, I have a partner company that uses Ultra-VNC
for remote work to the same location who complains about jitter and delay
when I have no problems with at all.

Back to security, I trust that my local machine is well-secured and don't
mind the Ignition program caching the credentials for all of the users and
servers. While I'm happy that the website does not cache credentials, it
wouldn't be a security issue I would lose sleep over if it did as long as my
channels are encrypted end-to-end. From what your company site states,
testing the accuracy of the logmein encryption claims might be something you
can investigate independently. If you do and find otherwise, I hope to see
your findings here or on pen-test or bugtraq.

I really do sound like a plant from the company, yes? I'm not.
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/7/6ba/923

Regards,

Joel
Joel at SecureNA dot com