Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Wireless or wired but not at same time

From: John Skinner <john.skinner () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:11:34 -0500

On Jun 18, 2008, at 4:12 AM, Borloz Daniel wrote:

Hello,

I have to create a wireless access in all the conference room (about 20 in different location). We will use cisco material to do this. We want give access to either enterprise access or guest access. But there are several questions left.

I don't know which product would be interesting to use for managing right for a guest access ? What are you using ? It should be used by several non-technical people, be sufficiently granular (access for guest for several hours, half-day) and be sufficiently verbose to have reports of what the people did.

You might look into PacketFense. It will allow you to setup captive portals. I'm guessing you could set it up so that depending on how they authenticate it would put them in a private or guest VLAN.
http://www.packetfence.org/features.html

The second question concerns the cohabitation between wired and wireless connection. We don't want (especially my boss) that the two connection are active at the same time. When the laptop is connected through wire, it will not be possible to connect throught wireless. Has somebody face this problematic ? Is there a client that could control that ? We use mainly different Dell laptop, with different wireless cards.

AirDefense has a client program you can run on all your winblows systems that will allow you to apply policies from their policy server to only allow one network connection at a time.
http://www.airdefense.net/products/enterprise.php