Security Basics mailing list archives

Wireless or wired but not at same time

From: "Borloz Daniel" <Daniel.Borloz () edipresse ch>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:12:11 +0200

Hello,

I have to create  a wireless access in all the conference room (about 20 in different location). We will use cisco
material to do this. We want give access to either enterprise access or guest access. But there are several questions
left.

I don't know which product would be interesting to use for managing right for a guest access ? What are you using ? It
should be used by several non-technical people, be sufficiently granular (access for guest for several hours, half-day)
and be sufficiently verbose to have reports of what the people did.

The second question concerns the cohabitation between wired and wireless connection. We don't want (especially my boss)
that the two connection are active at the same time. When the laptop is connected through wire, it will not be possible
to connect throught wireless. Has somebody face this problematic ? Is there a client that could control that ? We use
mainly different Dell laptop, with different wireless cards.

A big thank you for all the answer and sorry for my bad english.

                Daniel Borloz.

Edipresse SA
Security & network engineer