Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: exchange data between two different systems

From: "H. Kurth Bemis" <kurth () kurthbemis com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 13:54:01 -0400

You say no "direct connection" is available due to security reasons, but email is accessible on each machine? I consider email a HUGE security hole, considering it is transmitted in plain text, then stored in plain text on the mail server, then possibly stored in plain text on the target system. Not to mention the numerous points between both systems for interception.

You didn't mention what OS you are using.  I'll assume *nix.

You could use tar up the files you wish to transfer, then encrypt and sign them using gnupg, attach them to an email, either via a script or manually, and send them that way. At the other end, reverse the process.

That's a pretty messy solution though.

I might try to push you in the direction of using ssh tunnels or scp with public keys. It will be considerably easier to setup and maintain, and very secure (keep your keys safe!).

hth
~k

Mohammad N. Tina wrote:
Hi,
i am in process to start exchanging data with another system, there
will no direct connection due to security reasons.(from my side and
there), I am thinking to exchange data using XML files send via
email...

is there a best way to exchange data, i am open to recommendation

Thanks