Security Basics mailing list archives

what should I do when....

From: "Jorge L. Vazquez" <jlvazquez825 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 22:05:15 -0400

for the last 2 days I've been getting lots of connections attempts on my firewall logs(ipcop firewall), from a specific ip based in Canada, the log is showing a
*
*
NEW not SYN?

it seems that someone is trying to initiate a connections, or may be a scan. Although the good thing is that the firewall is detecting them therefore stopping them, I'm getting worried of hacker activity, I've already done ip lookup, and dns whois query both of those point to ip and host in Canada it seems to be a company as I got their public website and also private network.....could anyone advice me what's the proper course of actions in this case?....

thanks
Jorge L. Vazquez
www.pctechtips.org