Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Call cabins with VoIP

From: "Michael Painter" <tvhawaii () shaka com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:06:51 -1000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jon Kibler" <Jon.Kibler () aset com>
To: "Diego Garcia" <diegogarciamendoza () gmail com>
Cc: <security-basics () securityfocus com>
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 6:56 AM
Subject: Re: Call cabins with VoIP

Diego Garcia wrote:
Hi,

My name is Diego and i'm from Mexico City. I want some advice about
the best solution for Call Cabins with VoIP, cause i want to install
some cabins in several places in south of Mexico and Guatemala. I'll
use Satellital Internet in few cases cause there are in remote places
inside the jungle. But first i want to talk about which can be the
best solution for this.

Hi Diego,

I find it surprising that you are able to use satellite-based Internet
with VoIP. Are you sure that they will allow it?

Hi Jon

I think the 'restrictions' on VoIP and VPN are because they don't work on most (HughesNet, WildBlue, for instance) satellite platforms due to the very high latency. There are a few,( http://www.skycasters.com/broadband-satellite-vpn/index.html ) who have designed around the latency problem, but they're not cheap either.<s>

--Michael

Here in the states, I have a few very remote business customers that
cannot get Internet access except over dial-up, and then only at lower
data rates. (I have one who is so remote, they can only get a
fractional-T1 for WAN service!) We looked into satellite-based Internet
via three or four different carriers and they all had many restrictions,
including:
  -- Maximum per-minute total data capacity, after which progressive
rate limiting was enforced until no traffic for a specified time period
(20 minutes, if I remember correctly).
  -- Maximum per-hour total data capacity, after which throughput was
progressively rate limited for a 24-hour period.
  -- Maximum total data capacity per-24-hours (a few 10s of MB), after
which you were disconnected for 24-hours.
  -- No VPNs, no tunnels (GRE), no p2p, no VoIP, etc. One of the
services even said that all that was allowed was: HTTP(S), POP(S),
IMAP(S), and SMTP(S). (I even have a client in a major metro area whose
cable Internet provider has the same restrictions.)

Thus, my question: Are you sure your service provider will allow you to
do what you want to do and will they provide the required channel
capacity? If so, you are a lot luckier than we are here in the states!

Jon Kibler
- --
Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer
Advanced Systems Engineering Technology, Inc.
Charleston, SC  USA
o: 843-849-8214
c: 843-224-2494
s: 843-564-4224

My PGP Fingerprint is:
BAA2 1F2C 5543 5D25 4636 A392 515C 5045 CF39 4253

http://www.trustem.com/