Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: password protect pen drive

From: Rob Thompson <my.security.lists () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 11:58:45 -0700

Lovena J Reddi wrote:
Hi

I am looking for a password protect for my usb drives.  Any idea for a free
one.

For a free product, Truecrypt.  This is not centrally administered, but
it does a great job if you don't have a bunch to control.

For a thumbdrive, you will want to use the "portable" version which is
something that you can do from the installed product or you can specify
when you install...

Someone else posted something in this thread at the bottom about locking
down thumbdrives/auditing/etc...

See below, please.

Please note that that when I plug my thumbdrive in the usb port it should
prompt me the password interface so that after putting the right password I
am allow to access the thumbdrive content.  The usb drive will b plug in any
machine.

Kindly advise.

Lovena