Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Password communication

From: "Worrell, Brian" <BWorrell () isdh IN gov>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 12:24:24 -0500

The last company I worked for rolled out a password self service
application, and what we did was setup a webpage.  The new employee
during orientation was required to login via that webpage, and setup
everything.  We gave them the username and then the PIN to this
software.  The upside was the PIN was hand delivered and they had to be
on the "inside" network to access this site.  Once they completed it
all, which did require some fields and questions to be answered by the
end user, they setup their password.

Down side was we had lots of Citrix only devices, so later on we had to
publish the app on the Wyse devices for users to go to, when they forgot
their password.

After all this was done, I do not think we had anyone call due to a
forgotten password again.

As for voicemail, that's a whole other issue.