Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RE: Password communication

From: rjflyguy () yahoo securityfocus com, com () securityfocus com
Date: 4 Jan 2008 01:38:22 -0000

Pepsdiaz,

I was having the same situation like your too some time back. The company that I worked for have around 900 employees
scattered all over the country and when new system was put in place, login ids a and passwords need to be distributed
to them.

Headache. What we did back then was to use sealed envelopes. In the envelope, we specify their Login ID but the
password was somehow not in "clear text". We use employees Identification Card number, Employee Number, their Health
Insurance number... So in the envelope, we just state that "For the password, please use the last 4 digits of your IC
numbers + last 2 digits of Employee Number + last 4 digits of Health Insurance number"

And the envelopes are couriered to all head of branches and he/she is responsible in passing the sealed envelopes to
his/her staff.

Upon signing in with the Login ID and the password, the staff is immediately forced to change the password or else the
account will be locked. For extra security, system admin then (in batches) checked the machine hostname from where they
logged in to match with their login ID. If any doubt, the system admin will call the respective staff just to confirm
the process is all okay.

Hope this helps...

-RJ2-