Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Borderline Security?

From: krymson () gmail com
Date: 21 Jan 2008 19:18:26 -0000

I found nothing in a real quick search either, but that's not really surprising. There may be a ton of little shops in
various corners that I neither know about nor can find out about even through various search engines.

Did he contact you via phone or email? If email,  you might want to check his headers and return address, so if that IP
is privately owned or if his email address domain leads somewhere. If it was just a gmail account or something like
that, you might want to put it on the backburner as a shop that doesn't know yet what they're doing and likely would
not be a fit for you when it comes to DLP.

If this was via phone, make it a point to badger him about a web presence or email contact information.

Record everything you know or find out about this person, where he emails from, his phone numbers, where they go,
caller ID, call one back from a pay phone or public place to see if his mother answers, etc.

I know not every shop or consultancy has a strong web presence, but let's face it, having any type of a domain or web
presence should be a requirement for any tech-related organization.

Gut feeling? Despite being a paranoid security nut, I still find the easiest answers are most often truth, and I bet
the shop is just too small to be easily found on the web. :)

<- snip ->
Hello. We were recently contacted by a fellow claiming to be from a Security Consulting Group going by the name of
"Borderline Security". He contacted us regarding data loss prevention solutions, which is a project that we've begun
doing preliminary research for, so it perked a few ears around here. I'm the person who's responsible for most of the
data gathering on the DLP project, so I was getting set to contact him this morning, when I ran into a small problem.

I can't find any record of his company.

So, I thought I'd ask around to see if anyone here has heard of Borderline Security, and can give a clue as to where I
can find more information.