Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: SSL VPN

From: Jurgen Vermeulen <jurgen () vermeulen-debondt be>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 19:46:05 +0100

Chad Loder wrote:
My whole point is that IPSEC does not require a client. So what
are the *other* reasons for wanting to move to an SSL VPN?

The most important argument being you can use it from almost anywhere. An IPSEC implementation needs the correct ports opened at firewall level (not even mentioning PPTP and NAT), while an SSL works almost everywhere where you can surf. You can get access from any cyber cafe if you want to.

I for one am frequently at a customer's site. I've got both a SecureClient and Juniper SSL access. In case you're allowed to plug your laptop into the customer's network (which doesn't happen often and is understandable), you mostly don't have the option to connect your IPSEC VPN, but https access is normally not a problem in this case. If you can't connect your pc, you setup your VPN from a pc of the customer to check your mails, which you can't do with your IPSEC VPN.

Grtz,
Jurgen