Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls and PCI

From: David Glosser <david_glosser () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:02:54 -0800 (PST)

I'll let others answer the firewall question, but here
are other points to ponder (I know a lot of this is
outside of the area of network design, apologies in
advance if someone else is covering this)

- Don't forget about the backup or "management"
network. You can have lots of firewalls, but if the
segments are connected on the back-end for backups or
management, then what's the point ;)
- Add Intrusion Protection (or at least detection) in
your network design
- Add application firewalls to your design (which can
be as simple as apache with ModSecurity or a more
expensive appliance).   An application firewall may be
required anyway in the next major PCI
 compliance revision.
- Management of different devices can add overhead,
but some people like a "defense in depth" approach.
Consider a different model of firewall for your
perimiter than the others. Consider two different
models of IDS/IPS devices.
- Are you are required to do "encryption" of data at
rest, as well as encryption of backup tapes?
- consider one of those unified log aggregators
- consider tripwire of an Host-IDS
- consider a 24x7 monitoring service.
- Is there a data-breach plan in place in case the
credit card info gets out?
- is someone running regular internal and external
vulnerability scans?

DG

 (PS - can anyone explain in english the difference
between an
 application firewall and an IPS device?)

--- Josh Haft <pacmansyu () gmail com> wrote:

Hello all,

Please consider the following scenario with respect
to a) PCI
compliance, b) best practice, and c) your own
personal
experiences/implementations.

Have been requested by a client to implement
separate, physical
firewalls between our various networks. Currently,
we have one
physical firewall with interfaces to a public
network (after a quick
pass through a router), a LAN, a DMZ, and another
network which houses
our database servers. These are all on separate
networks, and run
through separate physical switches.

The client wants another physical firewall between
each subnet. The
new configuration as I see it would have the 'main'
firewall NAT'ing
and passing traffic from the public network to the
DMZ, and to two
additional firewalls. Behind those firewalls would
be a LAN and the
separate 'database network', respectively.

In our ever-ending quest to bend over for every
client, cost (within
reason) is not an issue, so disregard that aspect.
Comments,
questions, and concerns as they relate to this issue
would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!
Josh