Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: what's the meaning of threats from unknown peoples in yahoo services? what they looking for?

From: "Vivek P" <iamherevivek () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 22:59:44 +0530

I would see it as a test by some people to figure out the SPAM filter
set by Yahoo!, I have been monitoring the Yahoo! Spam filter for some
time now, the algorithm that manages the Spam Filter is intersting &
constantly changing rules, sometimes it becomes higly secure,some
other time it would be really stupid! ...

Spammers would have automated scripts to test Specific Keywords in
these emails  in multitude yahoo servers across the globe..
& if the mail gets into inbox(if someone stupid enough clicks it, they
would have some notification system like HTTP SRC images from servers
in these emails) they would come to know that XYZ has clicked through
ABC server of yahoo ..
Thereby using the server for spam campaigns..

Thanks.

Vivek P Nair
("I keep six honest serving men, (They taught me all I knew); Their
names are What and Why and When, And How and Where and Who.")
President Ethical Hacking Projects & Research
Appin Security Group
VP, Technology, Appin Group Of Companies
Module III TBIU
IIT DELHI
Hauz Khaus
New delhi
India
www.appinlabs.com
vivek.p () appinlabs com
+919910924675

We explore... and you call us criminals.
We seek after knowledge... and you call us criminals.
We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious
bias... and you call us criminals.
You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to
us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the
criminals.

Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity.
My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not
what they look like.
I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto.
You may stop this individual, but you can't stop us all!