Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Auditing moved/copied files on a Win2003 network

From: Jørgen Hovelsen <jorgen.hovelsen () ntnu no>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 17:45:00 +0100

Scott Race wrote:
We have a situation where an employee is leaving and some files got
moved on our server.  Nothing was deleted, but we're trying to figure
out if he copied them to a CD, USB flash drive, etc.  I could not find
where Windows 2003 Server will let you audit file copies and moves, just
deletes and accesses.  Is there something I'm missing that's built in,
or what 3rd party applications are available (smaller budget, office of
15 users)?

Windows can audit "objects" (files, folders..). This type of auditing is default turned off.

You can read this to learn more about it: http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/50fdb7bc-7dae-4dcd-8591-382aeff2ea791033.mspx?mfr=true

You can also google "audit files folders windows 2003".

I have used MOM 2005 (SCOM 2007 might be a better choice now) and find it very useful, but it might be overkill for a small budget.

--
Jørgen Hovelsen