Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Security and the Under 30 User

From: "Mason, Samuel" <SMason () mt gov>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:28:38 -0700

I find the more tech-savvy users are the more offended they are that they cannot do something with a computer that they
do at home. This may seem like a generational problem but it may be simply that the under 30 folks have grown up with a
mouse in their hand from and early age that the rest of us.

I've run into situations similar to what you explain (tho some of your quotes are far worse than I've dealt with) but
it's usually the tech-savvy users (or other IT pros) that raise the most stink here when they can't do something.

PS- Someone here said something about Facebook being OK but they could see blocking Myspace. The Active-X exploits of
last week hit Facebook as well as Myspace. It's never advisable to make exceptions for variations on the same sort of
technology (blocking Hotmail but letting gmail in because it's "more secure"). The lack of exploits in two similar
technologies usually means the bad guys simply haven't gotten there yet. I freely admit I use neither site so take my
opinion with a grain of your favorite spice if you wish.

Samuel Mason CISSP, GCFA