Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows firewall on active directory servers

From: jfvanmeter () comcast net
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 17:04:02 +0000

Iv'e done it, the real issue is restricting dynamic RPC ports to a range

Hope these links help, I have to say that was one project that was a real pain

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154596 How to configure RPC dynamic port allocation to work with firewalls
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224196 restricting AD Repl traffic
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555381 how to config Win2k3 firewall on a DC

Good Luck --John

From: "Paul J. Brickett" <swarzkopf () legolas sinnerz us>
By policy, they don't have firewalls between their
internal network and their external network, but rather only have
firewalls implemented on each server.  The reason for this is that are
more concerned with their internal users (the students) than any host
out on the Internet.

Mother of god.

My suggestion: Strongly suggest that they reconsider their policies.
You're going to run into all sorts of issues here!

Good luck.

PJB