Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Open Source Web Content/URL Filter

From: "Jean François Quéralt" <jfqueralt () escuelaeuropea org>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 08:33:54 +0100

Razi, it all boils down to which usage is the product intended for.

In my case I work in a school and I do need to have access control
over contents as I can´t let students visit porn sites, for
instance.Blame whoever you feel like but reality is there are moments
where you do need to block certain content.

Now education is an area where in many times you can´t deal with too
many monetary resources. Hence the combination of Open Source and
Content Filtering makes a lot of sense here.

We all know Open Source is not about obtaining software for free but
it is indeed one of it´s side effects (and some would say one of it´s
strengths).

I am in turn surprised you didn´t see that by yourself.

Cheers.

Jean