Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: secure password communication

From: dan.crowley () gmail com
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 07:32:59 -0700

I think in your situation is the best and simplest way to make a text
file with username and password, make a selfdecrypt file (for example
with 7zip, afaik it used AES256) and send it via email to the user
outside. When he gets the file and calls you, you can give him the
password via phone. Of course this way is not the safest one, but I
think in your situation even the best.

This is just a matter of changing the threat from MITM to OOB-MITM (Out-of-band Man-in-the-middle). Still not really
secure.

Send by part email part text
better still verify user by way of a telephone call validating
something they know about themselves and something they should know
about you, and give over the phone.

I'll make sure to call up your employees and give them a fake password in exchange for their validation information,
then give you a call! ;)