Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: secure password communication

From: "Shreyas Zare" <shreyas () technitium com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 11:40:21 +0530

Hi Mitchell,

I just thought about the solution you wrote about. When I read it
first, it seems that a social engineering attack would be easy in such
a case by someone who has just about basic info. An insider can reset
passwords of anyone easily using it. And help desk has ability to
override makes it look easy. So its a risk that the company is taking
or am i missing something?

On the main topic, the best possible way I can think of is to have
digital certificate for all remote users and then you can easily send
any secret using the public key in the cert. And digital cert need not
be purchased, an company Cert server would be enough. The only thing
is that you have to create the cert in for the first time. Any other
way than this I feel is bound to be insecure. Again it depends on what
you are trying to protect and the risks involved.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 1:27 AM, Mitchell Rowton