Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: dual password for file/folder encryption

From: ArcSighter Elite <arcsighter () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 12:24:07 -0500

Tariq Khan wrote:
Hi all

I am looking for encryption software. Here's the story (bear with me),
we role out laptops and desktops for staff members and we would like by
default to have a folder which is encrypted and anything dropped (saved)
into that folder is automatically encrypted. Now, the idea is that we
set the master password on the folder (which should filter down to the
files), so when the users "put and pull" from the folder they are asked
for a password which they can set them selves. You may be wondering
"why", well in case of an employee leaving "under a cloud" or has not
informed us of the password for their files and folders within the
default encryption folder we can get to the folder and any files within
it with our master password. Apart from the fact that a lot of our staff
are forever forgetting their passwords.

I have tried some software but they do not have the option for a master
password which can override user set passwords.

I hope all that made sense. I would really appreciate any help.

Thank you

Tariq Khan

Information Security Analyst
Corporate Systems Group
Thames Valley University

Learning and Information Services

DISCLAIMER
intended for the addressee only. Any unauthorised use, dissemination of
the information, or copying of this message is prohibited. If you are
not the addressee, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail
and delete this message. Although this e-mail and any attachments are
believed to be free of any virus, or other defect which might affect any
computer or system into which they are received and opened, it is the
responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free and
no responsibility is accepted by Information Services department (ISD)
of Thames Valley University (or any of its associated subsidiaries) for
any loss or damage from receipt or use thereof. Please note that the
opinion(s) expressed in this email are that of the sender, and does not
necessarily represent that of Thames Valley University (or any of its
associated subsidiaries).

FolderGuard usually do fine for Windows.