Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Height of paranoia

From: "Murda Mcloud" <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:14:38 +1000

Have you also thought that recipients may have forwarded these on by
mistake(or by design)?
I have received emails before that have the whole conversation(some of which
I shouldn't have been privy to) laid bare for all to see.

This happens quite often from other companies and we have had to have
awareness building campaigns to minimize the risk of it happening with us.

Once that email is gone you have no control over it any more.

When you say 'leaked out' what do you mean exactly? Competitors have the
info or it has come up in gossip sessions internally etc? Are the data being
leaked specific to confidential 'conversations/emails'? Or are they general
ideas and subjects?

Not sure about the securing mail from mail admins...how about having better
auditing for access? I'm sure you could log who has accessed what and
when-especially if you have unique logins for the admins.

I don't see the point of removing the PC's from the domain because I can't
see any security benefit from that, to be honest. Maybe you could clarify
what you'd hope to achieve by doing that.

I remember being offered a job by someone who told me that they used the
company systems and their access to 'spy' on other staff and even on the
execs(he was related to one of the higher ups himself and they used the info
they gleaned for leverage). Now that was a paranoid environment that I had
no wish to get into.