Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: jamming or blocking WLAN

From: "Mike Staples" <mstaples () wvii com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 18:01:02 -0400

"A WBJ01 is a portable design wifi jammer. It is designed to blocking
wifi / wlan / bluetooth networks, which working on 2.4GHz. It could
helps you cut off wifi bluetooth connections in defined working area
and avoid leak out security data. The compact hand held design ensure
you could hide it in pocket, briefcase or elsewhere."

I'd have a hard time daring to use this device in the absence of sufficient
proof testing as to show that it broadcasts only on the appropriate
frequencies and at the appropriate power levels. I see nothing on the
website to make me confidant enough on either score.

Setting aside the possible (or likely?) illegality of using such devices in
any particular location, and assuming one has no ethical problem with the
practice regardless of legality, this does assume that one is willing to jam
*all* wifi in the area, not just any rogue AP that happens to be present.

One also has to be keenly aware of exactly what area is affected so as not
to cause interference to nearby, legitimate wifi operations.

Personally, I'll always opt for doing the grunt work of locating an and
decommissioning an unauthorized AP in my sphere of responsibility rather
than risk breaking the law or causing interference to others.

Mike