Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: HTTP tunneling to bypass proxy filter

From: "Hayes, Ian" <ihayes () nvcancer org>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 15:57:26 -0700

This will work, but some devices will notice it. I did something similar
while doing some contract work for the Air Force. One of the first
projects I worked on was figure out how to bypass the content filters
they use at the bases. I set up a Linux box at home with SSHD listening
on port 443. The proxy they were using was a pain, it didn't really like
me trying to connect through it using SSH as a local SOCKS proxy.
Eventually, I had to wrap that all up in a HTTP tunneller. I had to
write an ACL to prevent access to port 443 from the outside except for
the base's outside address because if my provider were able to connect
to 443, they'd shut my connection down...

Eventually the guys further up the food chain noticed a good amount of
traffic going to a residential IP address, and looked into it. They were
very puzzled because they were seeing SSH traffic over an SSL port, and
made some phone calls to the base NOC where I was working. We worked on
reconfiguring their proxies to reject this kind of traffic. I'm not sure
of they were ultimately successful in preventing this or not.

--
Ian Hayes
Systems Engineer