Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: HTTP tunneling to bypass proxy filter

From: "Brandon Louder" <Brandon.Louder () mckennan org>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:05:17 -0500

I am interested in hearing comments about this as well. I believe there
are some newer web security appliances that do deep inspection at the
application layer that would catch this, hopefully someone else can
contribute.

Another scenario in relation to your custom http tunnel client is a
socks based proxy to an SSH server. If you have an internet facing SSH
server and set it to listen on port 443 you should be able to tunnel
your web traffic over HTTPS. For instance with putty you can do:
putty -D 8080 -P 443 -ssh "ip address"

And then set your web browser to use socks proxy of localhost on port
8080.

All of the web traffic would then show up as https to the remote IP. If
you have a web security appliance that does HTTPS decryption and deep
inspection it may not work, similar as with the HTTP tunnel client.

-brandon