Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: "Endpoint" security solutions?

From: Vijay K <globevk () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 23:59:46 -0700 (PDT)

Just to add my 2 cents of advise, do look into the
techniques these engines run.

some products offer dual engines. The speed at which
they scan file system, boot space, other for string
matches (virus) memory product occupies everything
matters.

Remember these solutions ideally are an overhead
meaning protecting against miscreant invasions than
running any productive applications in an ideal world.
Just ensure they dont slow down your system
drastically. Do check CPU load.

Solutions are offered both client side agent based and
agentless solutions.

I would suggest you to lay emphasis on role based
centrally managed security solutions that would allow
administrators to define groups, user priveleges,
alert settings accordingly especially in more than 500
employee organizations. Makes life easier if whole
thing is automated.

Hope the above helps ;)
Best Regards
Vijay Kakumanu

--- damien dinh <damiendinh () gmail com> wrote:

You should also look into behavioral based end point
security products like
Cisco CSA, Intercept (bought by NAI awhile back i
think?), etc...but can be
administratively demanding if you are not familiar
with these products.
Just my .02

Best!

Damien Dinh, MS