Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Network Monitoring

From: "Paul Halliday" <paul.halliday () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 19:02:05 -0300

Quick start:

Fire up wireshark on any machine (preferably one that exhibits
slowdowns) and see what your background noise is like. You don't need
any fancy setup - just download and run it.
Who is talking to who? what are they talking? etc.

As you have no idea what is causing your problems this simple test can
help you identify any obvious issues.

Moving on:
If you aren't seeing anything useful from these traffic dumps its time
to move on.

If your switches are managed, take a peek at their logs. I would also
want to see what the Routers/L3's are up to.

I would hold off on the the span port and complex setups until you
have done some basic troubleshooting.

Good luck.