Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: wireless security on notebooks

From: Krymson () gmail com
Date: 20 Sep 2007 13:16:43 -0000

1) I don't think the CPU load of the firewall will be significant at all. You could get tons of rules in there and have
no performance impact. It might be a pain to get all your system MACs set up, but once you do, that pain of maintenance
is nearly over. I'm assuming you have less than 5 systems and maybe twice that in adapters. That's still managable. If
you have extra systems, perhaps you can use one system as a file server. This way you only manage the firewall on this
one server, and if you want files from LaptopA to LaptopB, LaptopA puts them on the server, LaptopB gets them from
there. Storage is fairly cheap, so grab a new hard drive, put it in, set up a share, configure the firewall, and you're
done!

2) I'm not as familiar with file-sharing apps like that, but they do seem easier than a full VPN setup. If it works for
you, I don't think I would inherently, immediately exclaim how insecure and bad a practice that is. I'd try it out if I
were you. :)

3) The IP 192.168.0.x is not an Internet routable address. Your cable modem, or wireless AP, or whatever you use to get
to the Internet will not let that pass through to the WAN side. So nothing to worry about there!