Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: wireless security on notebooks

From: Andres <andrej100 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 16:08:40 -0300

Dear krymson,

Thank you very much for your answer. In fact, I already have my
network configured as the way that you describe, I'm glad to see that
you agree with it. If I want to keep it simple, it seems to be the
only possible solution. In spite of this, I don't see this solution so
elegant like the other of the virtual adapter, because of the firewall
CPU resources (which I don't know how much they are, and also compared
with the another situation which also involves the firewall but with
less compromise I think), the maintenance of all the firewall rules
for all the adapters involved (when I have to make a huge
transference, I connect the notebooks via cable to the access point,
so I have to add the ethernet mac addresses too).
Another configuration that I'm thinking for it is to use tunnelling, I
think that it goes even more far, because it should let me connect to
the files even when I'm not at home
(http://www.bitvise.com/file-sharing.html), combining this with some
dynamic dns service (http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/), I'm
not a security expert, so I don't know what is the difference between
this and a VPN.

By the way, I have a beginner question, my internal IP ranges are from
192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.104; in theory, should I block the incoming
packets from this addresses coming from the WAN side of the access
point in its firewall ? Does this addresses exist in internet ? I
imagine this situation, I'm at 192.168.0.101, and I try to connect to
\\192.168.0.100\c$, but the computer is turned off, and the connection
reaches an internet computer with IP 192.168.0.100, I introduce my
password and so on…

I'm using a 2004 version of sygate firewall, (5.6), it seems to be the
newest, same as yours ?

Thank you very much.
Best regards,

Andres H