Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Is Basecamp - risky?

From: Eric Marden <security () xentek net>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 12:44:38 -0400

> So the short answer is: Don't use Basecamp if you care about security.

But how many products, services, and just about everything on the internet can this be said about?

I have used Basecamp for over a year, and have had no negative side effects.

No attacks, No exploits, no data loss or leakage.

David's answer may not have satisfied the hardcore security geek in Jax, but it goes along with their philosophy of development (look at the 37 signals site for their eBook on the subject). Which is not to say that their philosophy is inherently secure or insecure - but if the people you are giving access to are going to muck about and try to break it, then that's more of a social problem, than a technical one.

I for one found it to be a great tool, and highly recommend it. ActiveCollab is another one to keep your eye on.

-= Eric Marden =-
http://www.linkedin.com/in/xentek