Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Exhausted Problem-Compsec Issue.

From: "Bowers, Jeramy J" <jebowers () iupui edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 11:12:39 -0400

DJ,

Q1. By blue screen, do you mean the blue screen of death (as in stop error
with much text that cannot be read before the system restarts) or the blue
background typical before the login screen appears?

Q2. I know that some full disk encryption software causes lag time at OS
start.  You are reporting 90-120 seconds between the Windows splash screen
and the blue screen.  What was the typical time between the splash screen
and [the login screen or desktop visible] before the error started?

Q3. Do you have two (or more) sticks of RAM in the computer?  If so, try
removing one half of the sticks and booting, and then boot with only the
other half.  My first guess would be a bad spot in the RAM, based on the
symptoms you describe.

JJB