Security Basics mailing list archives

Exhausted Problem-Compsec Issue.

From: "DJ C" <axanico () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 23:18:30 -0400

Hello list, I usually sit back everyday when checking email and read
through all of your great posts and find very useful and in-dept
info.You all raise very important questions and I learn so much from
all the contributors. Well I hope someone here can at least point me
in the right direction with a very rough issue I am having with my
main laptop. Here is the issue:
I have an acer aspire 9500 series model dq70. I have been using this
machine with minimal issues, however, at current boot attempt i am
able to get to the windows splash screen and after 90-120 seconds a
blue screen flashes and the computer restarts immediately. It turns
out I have a bad checksum error that would be a very solvable issue
but here is the kicker. I have my computer encrypted using compusec PC
security suite. Now, right after POST this program requires user
authentication and password. I am able to login fine but this is where
it takes me to the splash and the issue presents itself. One solution
to this would be to drop in via a cd-os like linux knoppix or a diag
cd BUT, when I change the boot sequence to DVD/CD rom in the bios and
restart- the drive reads but my security software still boots to
compusec screen for username and pw and after auth boots to the splash
as if no changes have been made. I am trying to fix this issue by
utilizing the knoppix cd but even if i was to decide to reformat I
just cant seem to get the boot sequence to take effect due to the
software.
How can I disable Compusec and boot to cd? Ive got the username and pw
but nothing is working.
Over three weeks scratching my head here and Ive posted on tech
support forums and Compusec forums to no avail. I cant afford to shell
out major $$$$ to fix this and all I need really is to be able to boot
to cd. At this point im willing to take a full data loss and reformat
(if necessary)
Any help suggestions or comments is GREATLY appreciated.

P.S.
I will never use or recommend Compusec software.

Thank you for your time.