Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Sharing internet through Citrix (or better solution) in isolated network?

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 17:46:42 +0100

On 2007-11-05 Hamid . K wrote:
I`m preparing solution for providing internet-access to internal
users . What I`m looking for is a solution that completely isolate
internet usage and internal systems.

If you want complete isolation of internet from intranet access you need
separate computers on a separate network running over separate network
hardware.

I`m thinking about publishing internet through Citrix based solution,
and keep everything restricted on citrix server/sessions.
But I though there must be better solutions ,as using Citrix p.server
for such case have it`s own security risks , some of them hard to
skip !

The good point about terminal based solution IMO is keeping user
workstation clean and (almost) isolated, as it will act like a sandbox
for running browser .
Any comments?

This scenario is known as a "graphical firewall". It's common practice
for allowing internet access from the workplace while keeping it in an
isolated environment. It's reasonably secure as long as you keep the
terminal server locked down (i.e. terminal server in a DMZ, no shared
files/printers between terminal server and LAN hosts, etc.)

As always , open-source solutions (if any) are more welcome :)

VNC would be another option for building a graphical firewall, but it's
heavier on the resources than a Citrix (or Windows) terminal server.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."