Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Private IP address with yahoo messenger

From: Jeff MacDonald <jam () zoidtechnologies com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 15:44:27 -0400

On Friday 25 May 2007 3:57 am, Alcides wrote:
Thanks Jeff.

Let me give you a slight insight of a real scenario.
I don't know how it was done. But I have witnessed that someone from
other end in Yahoo chat has told my internal IP to me -more than once.

knowing your internal ip address without access to your internal network is
rather pointless. the point of having an "internal ip addres" to begin with
is that it is not easily accessable from the public network.

it is possible that some means other than social engineering was used to
determine the information, but I strongly doubt it had anything to do with
the "yahoo!" servers or their messenger service. I recommend that the machine
be scanned thoroughly for malicious software (trojans, viruses, etc) before
proceeding further.

regards,
--
Jeff MacDonald,