Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: This mailing list on a blog

From: Tara Kelly <tarak () sullof com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 11:41:27 +0200

Hello all,

@Robert Wesley McGrew
I'm not sure I understand the problem here. Why is it such a bad thing to have blogs and such bring in content from the mailing list, and why should we combat it?
It's not necessarily a bad thing to have blogs in general scraping content, but splogs yes (like the one I mentioned in the original email).

@Stian Øvrevåge
First of all I do not see the point. And second of all it's not practically doable. Resulting in the biggest evils we as the security community should try to fight, FUD and security theatre. So go out and be paranoid somewhere else.
If password protection is not the option, then ok. But it's important that people know that their messages, names and emails are winding up on disreputable websites (sure, as well as reputable ones, like nabble etc).

My first email simply warned people on the list as to where there comments were winding up. My second email proposed password protecting the archives. There is no security theater going on - just a discussion on if, and how, to change the current situation. If you don't see password protection as a solution, ok. Can you propose another solution as others have tried to do? Or, of course, if you don't see that there is a problem to solve, that's a valid opinion too.

Tara