Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: CISSP Question

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 18:12:09 -0700

So if you already have 4 years of experience in management,
or design, or consulting, what is the value of the CISSP? You
are already doing the job that most people are getting the
certification are aiming for. Now of course this is a
majority case, as there are people who get the cert for other
reasons.

  There is a (common) underlying assumption here that people get
certified in order to get into a job that they couldn't without
the certification.  It's a compelling reason, but that's not the
only value of a cert.

  With perhaps a single exception, each cert I've taken has
involved roughly 50% review of knowledge I'm already using, 25%
knowledge I need in my current job but haven't had, and perhaps
25% knowledge that I don't need yet but may be helpful in some
future scenario, typically within 5 years.  I've never gotten
hired, promoted, or a raise based simply on achieving the cert,
but it has always made me better at my current job and helped
position me for some future move.

  I think that many of the criticisms levelled at various certs
are rooted in the assumption that people are getting them as a
ticket into a specific job; I agree that there is no cert that
I would recommend to anyone on *that* basis.

David Gillett